Sunday, August 4, 2013

Who-pla!

Ladies, gentlemen and Ood: We have a twelfth Doctor!  The BBC announced earlier that Peter Capaldi will be joining the show as the latest in a long line of actors portraying the Time Lord.  As promised, I did have the special on one of the TVs at the bar where I work.  Volume up and everything.  My nerd joined me.  Either they really like me there, or I'll be fired tomorrow, leaving me to devote all my time to turning this blog into a book deal.

As some of you undoubtedly have already discovered, Mr. Capaldi is no stranger to Doctor Who, having appeared in "The Fires of Pompeii".  As my own very astute nerd pointed out, that episode also featured a pre-Amy, very made up Karen Gillan!  This is not the first time the showrunners have fished out of their existing casting pool, but it may be the first episode that brought us two actors who would later be reused.  (This statement is fully un-researched.)

As for the rest of Capaldi's career, I am unfamiliar.  Neil Gaiman (also no stranger to the show), before today's announcement, theorized on why this may actually be a good thing.  Peter Capaldi is certainly more recognizable to UK audiences, and the rest of us have some time to get to know him if we so choose.  I, for one, am excited to see this all unfold, and will probably be doing a bit of Capaldi-ing before the new series airs.

And if I didn't provide enough linkage for you today, here's one more:

Entertainment Weekly's Five Facts About The New Doctor

Also, Scotland.


No comments:

Post a Comment