Sunday, May 11, 2014

"Forever". (Forever Ever? ForEVER EVER?!)

You all have a favorite book, yes?  It can be "Goodnight, Moon" for all I care, (it is deceptively symbolic) but you have one... right?  How many copies of that book have you owned?

My favorite book is Pete Hamill's "Forever".  It was recommended to me 7 (yikes!) years ago by a guy I was working with in my life as an actor.  This particular gentleman also has the distinct honor of introducing me to a certain nerd with whom I would begin a relationship and about whom I would start to blog.  Remind me to buy him several beers.

I devoured "Forever".  Pete Hamill, over the course of his distinguished career, wrote for/edited the New York Post, The New York Daily News, and The Village Voice.  This man knows New York, and wrote a sprawling novel that begins in Ireland several centuries ago and ends in modern day New York City.  I am being purposefully vague.  This book moved me.  I have been trying to share it with, or possibly thrust it upon, pretty much everyone I like ever since.

I have purchased several copies as gifts, including sending a copy to my brother, who was deployed at the time.  I have loaned it out more times than any other book in my memory.  [Side bar: I'm not great at loaning books to people.  I am meticulous with my books.  As a child, I brought old books to donate to the library and they told me they only wanted used books.  My mother had to tell them that I had read them all several times.  I do not break the spine, I do not dog-ear a page, and I certainly do not make notes in the margins, not even in pencil.]  That I have wanted so passionately for people to read this book that I have given it up so often is kind of a miracle.

The first copy I lost was to a guy.  (Wah wah).  We had been on one or two dates, and we were talking about books, and I loaned it to him.  His mother was a librarian!, I thought, How could I go wrong?  I never saw him, or the book, again.  [Another side bar: He acted like a jerk and *then* I decided to never see him again.  I don't think it was a great book-stealing scam or anything.]

I bought a second copy.  I loaned it out again, to my nerd, among others.  This copy was returned to me several more times, until I handed it over to a friend.  Several weeks went by, but I thought nothing of it.  One day, I received a package in the mail from Amazon.  Inside was a copy of "Forever", alongside a copy of "Bright Lights, Big City."  There was also a note that said (and I paraphrase), "I damaged your book in a New York City rain.  Here's a new copy, and as a thank you, a copy of my favorite New York City book."  That, ladies and gentlemen, is how you borrow a book.

I read "Bright Lights..." and enjoyed it.  I was getting ready to re-read "Forever", my first time reading this new copy that had come to me.  A friend of my nerd's was over the other night, and we were talking books, and I sent him home with my copy of "Forever" instead.  Will I see it again?  Probably.  But if not, I think it's pretty clear that I don't mind spending 15 or so dollars on the same book every once in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment