Thursday, November 22, 2012

A Sherlock-Worthy Mystery

Guys.  Have you been watching British TV?  Seriously... These guys are giving it.  Steven Moffat especially.  More on him later (I'm guessing).

I occasionally (not!) troll some Pinterest Geek boards.  Because I'm that type of person.  And for quite some time, I've been seeing images of Benedict Cumberbatch pop up with various fangirl squees of approval.  And each time I wonder to myself: "Is Benedict Cumberbatch actually sexy?"


My nerd and I finally watched episode one, "A Study in Pink", of Moffat's superb, critically acclaimed, award-winning, star-studded (Martin Freeman is  totally a star!) series Sherlock a few days ago.  As I watched, I marveled at the modernization of a classic mystery, the textbook flawless British acting, the running (MOFFAT!).  I also pondered: Sherlock?  Sexy?  

Cumberbatch's cheekbones are divine.  The way he turns that collar up on that trench coat?  That's what frat boys dreamed of... back in the day when I was in college and all the frat boys turned up the collars on their pastel polo shirts.  I want to ruffle his tousled curls nearly as much as I long to rumple David Tennant's hair (certainly more on him later).  And yet...

Are his eyebrows a little wiry and undefined?  Is his sneer off-putting?  Does his "Sherlock" influence how we feel about this actor?  

We are no strangers to this phenomenon.  Look no further than our current Doctor, Matt Smith.  Is Matt Smith sexy, or is the Doctor sexy?  And before him: David Tennant's and Chris Eccleston's Doctor(s), Rupert Grint's Ron Weasley, Matthew Lewis' Neville Longbottom, Orlando Bloom's Legolas, Chris Pine's and William Shatner's Kirk, Harrison Ford's Han Solo, anything Nathan Fillion ever did (oh so much more on him later) and perhaps even statistical genius and humblebragger Nate Silver?  Sure, many of these guys are conventionally good looking.  But is that why we fall in love?  Or is there something in the side kick?  The loner?  The guy who's too smart for everyone else?

I wanted to address this thought one episode in.  I'd love for you, esteemed reader, to journey with me through the inevitable evolution of "Yeah, he's decent looking" to "Shut up, he's on the list!".

I'm thankful for many things this year, but right now, I'm thankful to be writing.  And experimenting.













*and as I type, my New York Jets are losing 49-12 to the New England Patriots on Thanksgiving,  This has been a welcome distraction from the game.







Sidebar: Sherlock available on Netflix streaming
Benedict Cumberbatch photo source: Telegraph

No comments:

Post a Comment