Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Origin Story

The idea for this blog came to me December 31, 2011 in a drunken New Years Eve blaze of (self-appointed) genius.  I sat on my couch and watched my boyfriend have a lively discussion with a friend (in a Flash t-shirt) about something extremely geeky.  The subject alludes us now, because it's 11 months later and we had hit the champagne a little hard.  As I watched them delight in their conversation, I realized how lucky I was to be with a guy who cares about stuff.  Video games, sure, and Star Wars and science and technology and a whole bunch of stuff that's supposedly lame.  I decided I wanted to explore the concept of dating your very own nerd: what makes it great, what makes it frustrating, what makes it always fun.

First, I implore every reader to embrace the things that make them "nerdy".  It doesn't have to be Pokemon or Star Trek, but find the thing that you're totally crazy about and geek the hell out!  Know Harry Potter's middle name!  Be able to identify the operas of Wagner in 3 notes!  Tell me how to best use coriander!  Name the starting line up for the '68 Mets (Mookie Wilson... is that a thing?)!  Teach me a mean cross stitch!  Or, know what "Green Grow The Lilacs" means (guilty!).  Know what you love and own it.

I wanted to wait to start this blog until I had a couple of entries in the can.  Guess what.  It's the minutiae of my daily life with my nerd that needs documenting.  The day to day is the good stuff.  When I look for the big picture, the details get lost.

Anyway, it's my boyfriend's birthday today, and he put on Fellowship of the Rings as his personal idea of a birthday treat.  And once Howard Shore's exceptional score began to play in the Shire, I swelled with emotion. I'M A NERD!  And it compelled me to finally start chronicling the joys and pains of a nerdy, passionate, sometimes absurdly inane relationship.  Live long and flourish, as they say.




Kidding.

No comments:

Post a Comment